Which one would we choose?
Our choice: Sonicare DiamondClean Smart (view on Amazon)
2nd choice: Oral-B iO
The DiamondClean Smart is the brush that I would choose.
It is a tough decision to make as the differences between these are realistically quite subtle.
However, as a complete package, the DiamondClean Smart just takes the edge.
The Sonicare offering just feels a tiny bit more refined and the way the technology is implemented feels slightly more intelligent.
- Cleaning/brushing action
- The DiamondClean Smart uses sonic cleaning action compared to the oscillating-rotating cleaning action of the iO.
- Handle design & colors
- Similar, yet different handle designs.
- The Oral-B iO has an interactive color OLED display in the brush handle.
- The DiamondClean Smart is available in 6 colors, white, black, pink, grey/silver, rose gold and lunar blue.
- The iO is available in 4 colors black onyx, white alabaster, and rose quartz and violet amertrine.
- The Oral-B iO has an LED light ring that can be lit a number of different colors.
- Cleaning modes
- The DiamondClean Smart comes with up to 5 cleaning modes (Clean, White+, Deep Clean+, Gum Health, and Tongue Care).
- The iO has up to 7 cleaning modes (Daily Clean, Sensitive, Super Sensitive, Intense, Whiten, Gum Care, and Tongue Clean).
- The DiamondClean Smart offers 3 different intensities to the cleaning modes, low, medium, and high.
- The DiamondClean pacer on 6 x 20 seconds intervals compared to the 4 x 30 seconds of the iO.
- The DiamondClean Smart turns off automatically at the end of a cleaning cycle.
- The Sonicare DiamondClean Smart gradually increases the power of the brush over the first 14 sessions to help new users get used to the power.
- Brush heads
- The DiamondClean Smart comes 3, 4 or 8 brush heads, subject to variant. The 9700 offers 8 brush heads (3 x C3 Premium Plaque Defense, 2 x G3 Premium Gum, Care, 2 x W3 Premium White & 1 x TongueCare+ tongue brush).
- The iO comes with 2, 3 or 4 brush heads, subject to the variant. All are the Ultimate Clean style.
- The 2 brushes have different shaped brush heads.
- BrushSync technology
- The Smart will alert you when it is time to change a brush head via an LED on the brush handle. This is not available on the iO.
- The DiamondClean will also select the most appropriate cleaning mode based on the brush head attached.
- Pressure sensor
- The DiamondClean Smart has an LED ring on the base of the handle that illuminates purple when too much pressure is applied.
- The iO has an LED ring at the top of the brush handle that lights up red when too much pressure is applied.
- The DiamondClean vibrates the brush handle to alert you, the iO does not.
- The iO also lights up green, when just the right amount of pressure is applied, the DiamondClean does not.
- Battery life
- The Oral-B iO has the battery life, despite both having a claimed 14 days.
- The iO gives more feedback from the battery than the DiamondClean Smart.
- Charging stands
- The DiamondClean Smart uses a more premium looking, but bulky charging glass.
- The iO has a smaller, magnetic charging stand.
- The iO takes 3 hours to charge compared to up to 24 hours of the DiamondClean.
- Bluetooth/smart technology
- The iO uses artificial intelligence (AI) technology to help track your brushing action to rate your overall clean.
- The Oral-B tracking is more accurate than the DiamondClean Smart.
- The Oral-B app is more comprehensive but potentially overwhelming.
- Travel case
- The DiamondClean Smart has a travel case that is finished with leather effect material and allows the brush to be charged in that case thanks to a USB cable hardwired into. It holds the handle and 2 brush heads.
- The iO travel case does not allow the brush to be charged in the case and holds the handle and 1 brush head.
- Oral-B iO’s retail price is lower at $300 compared to the DiamondClean Smart’s $360.
These differences are explained at length later in this article. However, you might wish to learn more about each brush being compared. To do so, check out our hands-on reviews:
Please note. There are multiple variants of the Oral-B iO. It is the range-topping iO Series 9 that I am comparing here primarily making reference to the Series 7 and Series 8 where appropriate.
There are several different variants of the DiamondClean Smart. In this comparison, I am comparing the DiamondClean 9700 making reference to the 9500 & 9300 where appropriate.
I am not including the DiamondClean Smart 9750.
Every effort is made to ensure the key differences listed are correct, but these differences are subject to change without notice. Products and the box contents can be changed without notice and different variants can exist.