The Oral-B iO has been announced, but not yet released for general sale.
It is expected to go on sale to the public in late summer 2020, approximately August.
This comparison has been written to highlight the differences, based on what information we already know.
It will be updated once I have hands-on time with the final production unit.
Which one would we choose?
Our choice: Sonicare DiamondClean Smart
2nd choice: Oral-B iO
2 of the best toothbrushes on the market.
Both clean the teeth really well and both have features that many of us really do not need, but these extra features make for more convenient daily use and can help us achieve healthier teeth and gums.
The iO is a marked upgrade on some of their other products, the DiamondClean Smart, is, in my opinion at least, a more complete and refined package.
- Cleaning/brushing action
- The DiamondClean Smart uses sonic cleaning action and larger brush heads than the oscillating-rotating cleaning action and small round brush heads of the iO.
- Handle design & colors
- Similar, yet different handle designs.
- The DiamondClean Smart is available in black, white, pink and silver.
- The iO is available in black onyx, white and rose quartz.
- An OLED display is built into the handle of the iO to display key data. The display enables easy navigation through the brush features and personalization: welcoming greetings, choice of brushing modes, language settings and reminders to change the brush head. This is not included on the Sonicare.
- Cleaning modes
- The DiamondClean Smart comes with 5 cleaning modes (Clean, White+, Deep Clean+, Gum Health, and Tongue Care).
- The iO has 7 cleaning modes ( (Daily Clean, Sensitive, Super Sensitive, Intense, Whiten, Gum Care and Tongue Clean).
- Cleaning mode intensities
- The DiamondClean Smart offers 3 different intensities to the cleaning modes, low medium and high.
- Cleaning mode labels/icons
- The DiamondClean Smart has names of the cleaning modes on the handle. that are backlit when selected.
- The iO modes are shown on the OLED display.
- Automatic power off
- The DiamondClean Smart turns off automatically at the end of a cleaning cycle.
- The Sonicare DiamondClean Smart gradually increases the power of the brush over the first 14 sessions to help new users get used to the power.
- Brush heads
- The DiamondClean Smart comes with 4 brush heads (1 x Premium Plaque Control, 1 x Premium Gum Care, 1 x Premium White and 1 x TongueCare+ tongue brush).
- Brush heads supplied with the iO are TBC.
- BrushSync technology
- The Smart will alert you when it is time to change a brush head via an LED on the brush handle. This is not available on the iO.
- The DiamondClean will also select the most appropriate cleaning mode based on the brush head attached.
- Pressure sensor
- The DiamondClean Smart has an LED ring on the base of the handle that illuminates purple when too much pressure is applied.
- The iO has an LED ring at the top of the brush handle that lights up red when too much pressure is applied. It also lights up green, when just the right amount of pressure is applied.
- The DiamondClean Smart is quieter than the iO.
- Battery life
- The DiamondClean Smart has a battery life of 3 weeks compared to the 12.5 days of the Oral-B.
- Charging stands
- The DiamondClean Smart uses a more premium looking, but bulky charging glass.
- The iO has a smaller, magnetic charging stand.
- The iO takes 3 hours to charge compared to up to 24 hours of the DiamondClean.
- Bluetooth/smart technology
- The iO uses artificial intelligence (AI) technology to help track your brushing action to rate your overall clean.
- Travel case
- The DiamondClean Smart has a travel case that is finished with leather effect material and allows the brush to be charged in that case thanks to a USB cable hardwired into. It holds the handle and 2 brush heads.
- The iO travel case does not allow the brush to be charged in the case and holds the handle and 1 brush head.
- The DiamondClean Smart is generally more expensive.
These differences are explained at length later in this article. However, you might wish to learn more about each brush being compared. To do so, check out our hands-on reviews:
- Oral-B iO review – Coming soon
- Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart review
Please note. Every effort is made to ensure the key differences listed are correct, but these differences are subject to change without notice. Products and the box contents can be changed without notice and different variants can exist.