On this page we’ve condensed our main advice to help you improve your dental health.
If you're feeling motivated to make some change, this page will give you a very quick overview of what you need to do. See the products we recommend, and those we don't.
Our main advice
- Don’t spend too much on an electric toothbrush. The brush we recommend as the best overall is the Oral-B Smart 1500. This is far cheaper than some of the top end toothbrushes and has the features our dentists recommend as essential.
- Smart toothbrushes generally aren’t worth it.
- Flossing is important. Interdental brushes are the most effective, but find the tool that works best for you and turn flossing into a habit.
- Be careful with teeth whitening — it can permanently damage your teeth when professional advice is not followed.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes.
- Use toothpaste containing fluoride.
- After brushing spit the toothpaste out, but don’t rinse it off your teeth.
- Don’t brush immediately after eating, or if you've had a fizzy drink.
- Keep sugary drinks and foods to meal times only. Avoid sugar between meals.
- Looking after your dental health prevents dental treatment and is a good way to look after the planet.
- Learn about ways in which you can reduce the environmental impact of your dental health.
Products we recommend
Below is a quick list of the products we recommend for a healthy dental routine.
Best electric toothbrush
The Oral-B Smart 1500 is the brush we recommend as the best overall electric toothbrush. It's good value for money and has the main features dentists recommend. We go into more detail in our best electric toothbrush post.
Best manual toothbrush
We recommend brushes in a few different categories in our best manual toothbrush post, but if you're looking for a reliable and good value brush, the Curaprox CS 5460 is a good place to start.
Best interdental brushes
Interdental brushes are the most effective tool for flossing. There is a wide variety to choose from, but TePe is a good mixed pack to get started with. If you speak to your dental professional, they can help you to determine the optimum sizes for your teeth.
Best water flosser
A water flosser is another type of interdental cleaning tool that is popular. We have a post that looks at the best water flossers. See our two favourites below.
Products we don't recommend
Don’t waste your money on unproven products.
We keep a full list here, but a few of the products we currently don’t recommend include:
- Mouthpiece toothbrushes
- Ultrasonic teeth cleaners
- Snap on veneers
- Online teeth straightening
Sign up below to stay up to date with other products we advise against.
Learn how to look after your teeth
The video below, shot with our in-house dentist Dr. Chhaya Chauhan, covers all of the things you need to do to have a healthy oral hygiene routine, but in summary:
In brief, the main things you can do are:
- Learn how to brush your teeth properly
- Use plaque disclosing tablets to monitor your technique
- Brush your teeth twice per day
- Clean interdentally once per day
- Regularly visit the dentist
Stay up to date, impress your dentist
We send our a quarterly email newsletter with dental health tips and news about new products.
Impress your dentist by staying up to date.
No spam, just good advice (and the occasional bribe) every few months.