Update 14th January 2021
Since the announcement a few days ago we have learned more about the Prestige 9900.
One of the key features and selling points is that is designed to be intelligent and intuitive.
Whilst you do not NEED a smart toothbrush, they are there if you want to make use of them and if you do you should really benefit.
You will be able to look over your brushing history and the app will give accurate and useful personalised tips and insights on what you can do to improve your brushing.
The key things we now know about the Prestige are:
- Cleaning/brushing action
- Sonic cleaning action as per other Sonicare toothbrushes offering up to 62,000 movements per minute.
- Handle design/colours
- There will be at least 3 colour options. A gold, pink and navy colour.
- The gold and pink handles will come with a white coloured brush head, whereas the navy will come with a black brush head.
- The power button has a seamless design (no gap around the button) to prevent toothpaste/gunk buildup around the button.
- The brushing intensity can be controlled via the touch-sensitive panel of LED’s that sit below the power button.
- There is a BrushSync replacement reminder light on the front of the brush handle.
- There are no cleaning mode icons or labels on the brush handle itself.
- Cleaning modes
- The brush will default to the standard clean mode.
- Additional cleaning modes are available, but these are controlled via the smartphone application.
- It will have 3 brushing intensity settings (low, medium and high) as identified by the 3 lights that are positioned under the power button.
- Brush heads
- The Sonicare A3 brush head will be provided with the Prestige 9900.
- The brush head has been designed to be an all-in-one head, to clean, whiten and protect the gums. No need to switch to different heads for different modes.
- The A3 head is Brushsync enabled.
- When a brush head requires replacing, an indicator on the front of the brush handle will be lit to alert you.
- Pressure sensor
- A visible pressure sensor is built-into the handle.
- Around the bottom of the handle, a light is shone when the sensor is activated.
- The brush handle should vibrate too when the sensor is activated.
- The brush will automatically adjust the brushing intensity if excess pressure is detected.
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-Ion battery.
- Battery status/charge icon on the front of the brush handle.
- The smartphone application will show the battery status as an exact percentage (%).
- Bluetooth technology
- App for iOS and Android devices that will sync and store the data from the Prestige brush.
- The brush will store the brushing data and sync in the background with the app. You do not need to have the app open or use it each time you brush.
- Brushing sessions completed without the app will retain coverage data in addition to brushing time etc.
- Certain features of the toothbrush and the application can be turned on and off.
- Firmware updates can be made to the brush via the app to improve features and performance over time.
- Other features & technologies
- 2 minute timer and pacer built-in.
- Toothbrush will automatically shut off at the end of the cleaning cycle.
- Travel case
- Travel case provided with the Prestige 9900.
- The case has a wrist strap on it.
- The case will hold the handle and 1 brush head only.
- The toothbrush can be charged inside the case using a USB to USB-C cable (provided).
- The charging cable for the case is detachable and not hardwired into the case. There is no place to store the cable in the case.
- Accessories & box contents
- A charging stand is included in the box.
- The stand is made up of 2 parts, the base plate and the frosted charging base cover.
- The base plate has a USB cable hardwired into it.
- A USB to plug adapter will be provided in the box.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) is used to interpret the brushing data and give the most personalised feedback within the app of how you can brush better and improve your oral health.
- Standard 2 year Sonicare warranty.
- £299.99 in the UK and $399.99 in the USA.
- Due to launch in April 2021.
Please note: These details are subject to change, but are as accurate as is possible at the time of writing.
Original article from 11th January 2021
Philips have today announced the Sonicare Prestige 9900 electric toothbrush at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
The Prestige is claimed to be Sonicare’s most advanced toothbrush to date, which is impressive when you consider the already very capable DiamondClean Smart.
SenseIQ is a new technology that has been designed and implemented into the 9900 Prestige.
It has been engineered to sense and adapt to provide a personalised approach to oral health.
Sensors in the brush handle detect the pressure you apply, the cleaning action you use and monitor the position and movements of the toothbrush at up to 100 times per second. The sensors also monitor how long and how often you brush.
In other words, it is an evolution and improvement to the technology and capabilities are already on offer. It is like the DiamondClean Smart, but better.
Several Sonicare toothbrushes connect via Bluetooth to a smartphone application and the 9900 Prestige follows suit.
Powered by AI (Artificial Intelligence) the app works in partnership with the toothbrush handle for real-time guidance and personalised recommendations to improve brushing habits.
What Sonicare have built is a toothbrush that is more intelligent and capable than most. The Prestige should work with you to try and promote the best standards of oral health care and teeth brushing that is possible at home.
It does so by providing personalised, rather than generalised advice as it interprets the very data it receives from the toothbrush as it is used.
Progress reports by day, week, month and year are all available at the tap of a button, meaning more detailed data retention than the likes of the DiamondClean 9000 and ExpertClean toothbrushes. So, if you want to prove to someone, perhaps your dentist or hygienist, that you have been brushing well, you can.
Whilst we will be the first to tell you that you do not need a smart toothbrush, there can be advantages in the long term, if you are really serious about your oral health.
Sonicare realise that not everyone wishes to use their phone as they brush their teeth or to have their mobile device in the bathroom at all, the Prestige 9900 from Sonicare and the app has an auto-syncing feature that keeps brushing data up-to-date, even when you don’t brush with the app by your side, so you can monitor your brushing progress from anywhere.
Many of us apply too much force/pressure to the teeth and gums as we brush. Doing so, over a prolonged period of time can cause unwanted damage to the teeth and gums that are so vital to our oral health. Many toothbrushes have pressure sensors, and Oral-B’s iO even shows you when you are applying the correct pressure.
The new Philips Sonicare 9900 Prestige automatically adjusts the intensity when you push too hard. This helps prevent doing any unnecessary damage to the soft tissues in the mouth.
Sonicare is well known for offering a very thorough clean of the teeth and the 9900 should be no exception. Of course, we will only know this for sure when we get to go hands-on, which I can assure you, we will.
It does feature a new ‘all-in-one’ brush head. The design and information available from Sonicare imply that this new brush head should replace the need for multiple styles of brush heads. Multiple styles of heads have often been pushed by toothbrush manufacturers, Sonicare included, in the past. Wahey! There really is little need for different brush head styles.
The brush head has been designed to brush away plaque, remove stains and care for the gums. There are angled bristles to help provide that effective clean and there is flex within the head to help absorb and compensate for the excess pressure that might be applied from time to time.
Sonicare’s own lab and clinical studies suggest that in comparison to a manual toothbrush, the 9900 Presitge should remove 20x more plaque, achieve 15x healthier gums and up to 100% greater stain removal in less than 2 days.
The Prestige will use BrushSync technology, as signalled by the A3 brush head, but we do not yet know how many cleaning modes will be on offer.
A simple press of the power button on the handle allows you to start brushing without delay and the new gap/seam free button design should help resolve some reliability issues that have been experienced on past Sonicare brushes.
Just like the DiamondClean Series of past, the Prestige has a travel case that holds the toothbrush. It has been designed to be more compact and is wrapped in soft-touch vegan leather. Like previous cases, it also lets you charge it whilst inside. It has a built-in USB cable and USB-C port. It is great to see Sonicare ensuring their products have the latest connectivity standards.
The Sonicare 9900 will be available for sale in the UK in April 2021. The retail price will be £299.99.
We await information on what colour options/variants will be made available, although the press images show a gold, navy and pastel pink coloured options. We are also waiting on specific information such as the cleaning modes the brush will have.
Of course as and when we have more information, we will update this article. We will too have a full written and video review available at the earliest possible opportunity.