Sonicare wishes for you to be satisfied with its products and as such offers a 90 day money back guarantee (also known as an MBG).
This means you can buy an electric toothbrush with the knowledge that if you don’t get on with it after a couple of weeks of testing you can return it and get a refund.
Despite advertising the MBG offer on the box or in supporting documentation there is often little or no information provided on how to take advantage of this offer.
In this post, I run through some of the details and important things to know and how to make use of the scheme.
Whilst this guarantee gives you the flexibility to return it, it’s worth pointing out that an electric toothbrush has a significant impact on the planet compared to a manual toothbrush.
Returning a product after using it increases that impact, so it’s not a decision that should be taken lightly.
How to claim
The claims process is relatively straightforward, provided you follow the steps outlined.
- Visit https://www.philipsmoneyback.com/ and complete the form.
- You need to complete all the fields marked with an asterisk (*).
- You need to provide your mailing address as well as a copy of the receipt for the Sonicare toothbrush you wish to return.
- Once the form has been submitted, you will receive an email with a link that you must click to verify your email address.
- Once clicked, your claim will begin processing, this can take approximately 5 business days.
- You will then receive a second email with an attachment that includes your packing slip and mailing label if your submission is approved.
- Print the attachment. Cut the label from the top and insert the remainder of the slip into the box with the item you are returning. Tape that lable to the top of your shipment and send it to the address specified.
- Once received by Philips Sonicare, the refund will be issued in approximately 6 to 8 weeks.
Important points from the money back guarantee
The full terms of the money back guarantee are listed here on the Philips Money Back website. But I have listed below some of the key points.
- The refund is issued as a prepaid card
- The refund for your returned Sonicare toothbrush is not sent to you as cash or paid directly into your checking account.
- The money back is issued via a prepaid card in the United States.
- The prepaid card is accepted where Mastercards are accepted.
- It is not redeemable as cash or usable at ATMs or gas pumps.
- The card expires 6 months after it has been issued.
- The refund is limited to the purchase price plus sales tax only
- No other costs, such as shipping will be covered by the refund. Only the cost of the toothbrush and the sales tax for the amount paid.
- You must be 18 years of age
- Only those aged 18 years or above are able to submit and receive a refund as part of the MBG.
- You must include a copy of the original receipt
- If the valid original dated receipt is not included in the request for refund, your refund will not be issued.
- You must be the named person on the receipt
- You cannot claim or submit a receipt for an item purchased by someone else. It must be the purchaser of the toothbrush that makes the claim. It is they who will be paid the refund.
- It will take 6-8 weeks to process the refund
- This is the time frame Philips has set out for the claims process. Don’t expect to receive your refund sooner.
- If you chase the claim before the 8 weeks you are likely to be told to wait.
- You realistically get less than 90 days to test the product
- Although not explicitly mentioned in the terms and conditions, to avoid any issues or complications, it is worth submitting your claim a few days before the 90 days have passed.
- Submitting the claim on day 91 may well cause issues and gives a reason for your claim to be refused.
- The 90 days runs from the date of purchase
- The 90 days are counted from the date of the invoice/receipt, not the date you receive or start using the toothbrush.
- If you received and began using the toothbrush 7 days after the receipt date, you are already 7 days into the 90 days.
- The MBG scheme excludes accessories, parts, brush heads, nozzles and PowerUp battery toothbrush
- This does not apply to faulty products
- If the product is faulty, broken or has been damaged, you will need to speak to the retailer from which you bought it or make use of the Sonicare warranty programme.
- You must complete the money back form
- It is your responsibility to ensure it is delivered safely to the return address.
- Philips will not be responsible for lost or damaged packages.
All details are subject to change so please refer to Sonicares money back guarantee page for the latest information.
If you do decide to claim, please let us (in addition to Sonicare) know why, so we can learn the likes and dislikes of people like yourself and to educate us, so that better recommendations can be made.
How long can I test the brush for?
You can test the product for a maximum of 90 days. The 90 days runs from the date the product was purchased and not the date you received or began using it.
What do I need to return?
You need to return the product you bought.
Although not explicitly stated in the terms and conditions, it is advisable to retain the original packaging and use that to ship the product back to Philips and maximise the likelihood of a successful claim.
Where do I send it to?
The address to send your toothbrush or Philips Sonicare product to will be provided on the shipping label that Philips provide you with.
How do I send it?
Follow the shipping directions provided in the email sent by Philips.
It is your responsibility to ensure the package arrives in a timely manner, and complete. Philips will not be liable for lost or damaged shipments.
Make sure the product is wrapped up and labelled with the address and a copy of the packing slip is included in the box.
How is the refund paid and processed?
The refund for the oral healthcare product you are returning is sent to you in the form of a prepaid card.
How do I contact them?
You can contact Philips Sonicare on 1-800-682-7664 or via one of the other contact methods here.
Have you used the return scheme?
What do you think about this scheme? Have you used it? Let us know in the comments below.
Please note: The information is provided in good faith and is accurate at the time of writing. The latest information is available direct from Sonicare.