What happens to your old toothbrush when you replace it?
What about when you replace your toothpaste runs out or your reel of floss is empty?
Do they all just get thrown in the trash?
If you are like the vast majority of Canadians, then the answer is going to be yes.
If your oral care products have been going in the trash, there is no need to be ashamed about this, because there hasn’t really been much in the way of better options.
However, now there is at least one program that exists that can stop products like this from going to landfills and instead see them repurposed into other products such as benches, bottles and even clothes.
Oral-B & Crest make it possible to recycle
P&G, the parent company behind household brand names Oral-B and Crest have launched a program in association with Terracycle.
It now gives a way for you and others across the country to see the materials in your oral care products be repurposed.
You can collect your used dental care items and then ship them (at no cost to you), to TerraCycles facilities for processing.
TerraCyle does the hard work of separating products by material composition, then shredding them and melting them into hard plastic pellets, which can be used to make other products.
How it works
This is a very simple and free system to use.
There are 3 key stages.
- Collect – Gather all your used oral care waste, including spent toothbrushes, floss containers and toothpaste tubes and pack them into any size box.
- Print – When the box is full, seal it up and download a free shipping label from the Terracycle recycling website.
- Mail it – Ship the full box to the processing facility for recycling.
To get your shipping label head to https://www.terracycle.com/en-CA/brigades/oral-care-en-ca.
Although shipments can be of any weight, TerraCycle issues 100 points per pound of recycled product.
Each piece of oral care products/packaging sent in will earn approximately 2 TerraCycle points and will be counted based on an average unit weight of 9.07 grams.
TerraCycle points can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts, product bundles, or a payment of $0.01 per point to the non-profit organization or school of your choice.
Anyone can sign up for the program, making it super simple.
What is accepted
Only certain products are accepted.
At this time, electric oral care products are not accepted.
You can return:
- Manual toothbrushes
- Replaceable toothbrush heads
- Toothpaste tubes and caps
- Mouthwash bottles and containers
- Floss containers
- String floss
- Floss picks
It does not matter what brand the products are, they will all be accepted.
What is not accepted
Whilst the program accepts a large proportion of oral care products, currently, it is not possible to return
- Electric toothbrush heads
- Electric toothbrush handles (with or without the battery)
- Battery powered toothbrush handles (with or without the battery)
Things to note
- You can send as much or as little as you like into the recycling program.
- To maximize efficiency and get the most out of it, try and collect as much as is possible before shipping it to the processing facility.
- There is no cost to you for sending these items back.
- Upon completing the online form at https://www.terracycle.com/en-CA/brigades/oral-care-en-ca, a UPS shipping label will be created and they will collect it from you and send it to the recycling facility.
- You will need to provide the box for shipping and seal this before attaching the shipping label.
- You do not have to wash all the items prior to sending.
- Although, please ensure that tubes of toothpaste and mouthwash are as empty as possible.
- Please also make sure items are dry.
- UPS will not be able to collect damp or wet packages.
Do your bit for the planet and get collecting and recycling oral care products today.